Sunday, March 6, 2011

Delicious Enchiladas (and vegan, too)

Unfortunately, there is no mexican cuisine on this dang 'ol island. 
I love mexican food! The thing about it though,  its usually jam packed with cheese and animal-gizzard juice. In the states you go for mexican and you eat a pound of chips and a quart of salsa, drink a beer the size of a newborn baby, and THEN get your cheesy, greasy, beefy entreezy... without a doubt you are basically waddling out to the car with a very distorted buzz- its like "yeah, I am kinda drunk, but I am so damn full" and typically pass out the minute you arrive home. 
Yes, I have a point. A positive one - A RECIPE. This is my first recipe as an island slicker- hope you use it and love it:

"Vegan" Black bean Enchiladas
serves 2 hungry people

You will need:
2 hands (one would work)
Intuition
1 can black beans
a handfull of diced green peppers and a separate hand full of diced onions
a tiny can of tomato paste
olive oil
chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, & salt
flour
4 small flour tortillas

-First, rinse your beans and then squish them a little -
-Heat olive oil and saute the pepper and onion
-Throw in the squished beans- and just let that cook together on low-med. heat
-Next, heat some more olive oil - maybe 1/4 cup and add a handful of flour and chili powder
almost equal parts of flour and chili powder
-Whisk this mixture, making sure not to let the flour burn (ew! stinky) and you will have a rue
-add the tomato paste and briefly stir - you will notice it becomes very thick so start adding water- stirring, adding, stirring, adding
-you want it to be thin because it will thicken when you bake it.
-So, allow that to simmer and at last add cumin, garlic powder, and salt
-Taste, add, taste, add, and taste
- use intuition with proportions.
-Put on very low heat
- microwave your tortillas so they are easy to manipulate
-spread squished beans onto tortillas
-roll into whatever you think an enchilada should look like
-place in a casserole dish - pour sauce all over
-bake for as long as it takes you to make some rice
unless of course it takes you longer than 10-14 minutes


Boom! Done. 
Really simple and extremely delicious and healthy! I went to the pool after I ate- a good sign of not feeling like a complete fat ass after eating mexican food. 
I don't have any photographic evidence that I ever prepared this 
 It's because my camera is sub-par and so are my eating utensils- I want you to actually try this recipe and the pictures may have been a bit of a deterrent.
 However, I will share some random pictures.





this is where the magic happens







1 comment:

  1. I swear we have similar minds. I made enchiladas last week and was going to post a recipe: I made a tomatillo salsa and stuffed the tortillas with spinach, corn, onion, and zuchinni... BUT I smothered mine with CHEESE!! :)

    ReplyDelete